The Deconstruction, Part I

This has been my least favorite stage. We started by taking down doors and cabinets. It felt cluttered and chaotic. Like someone had just trashed the RV looking for expensive things to steal. Our initial plan had been to reuse as much as possible, to repurpose it, and ultimately save some cash. But as we went along, more and more was thrown out. "That piece is particle board. This one is rusted. And I don't even know what this is."

Early on I came across a dead creature and its nest. It had been living underneath the bed. Oh dear. Soon a hornet moved in to the ceiling area. To this day I haven't been able to get it out.   Or maybe it's just different hornets coming and going as they please. Either way you will hear at least one person scream per work day. And we have had a delay with removing the cabinets above the driver's seat when Aaron's arm broke out in a rash. 

We recruited my nephew to help us. He has been a huge blessing to us. I think he secretly likes destroying things. Tell him to tear down a wall and he goes at it like a bear is attacking him. His methods have led to some minor injuries but ultimately he shrugs it off and gets back to it. Thanks to him, a wall was removed and the shower ripped out.

Don't mind Aaron's face. He had probably just hit himself with a hammer or knocked his knees against a random object.

We have had to strip it down to the insulation.

The only parts that remain are the cockpit, and the toilet and storage closet. This whole process has been very slow with us only working 2-3 days a month. 

Next: The Descontruction, Part II: The Dreaded Cockpit.

The Executive

Let's talk about this RV. It's a thing of real beauty. A 1979 Executive Motorhome. As you can see, it's straight from the 1970s. Floral fabric, green carpet with hints of an orange carpet underneath, and brown cabinets.  First impressions? Dark, crowded, old, lots of carpet.

Aaron and I have no experience with RVs or remodeling anything on wheels. Everything we find and encounter will be followed with furious googling and phone calls to friends and family. 

Our goal from the beginning was to take everything out. Literally everything you see. We want to start with a blank slate. There is plenty of space and potential in this vehicle. The most difficult obstacle is the age of the vehicle. Even taking it down to the studs, those studs are going to be really old. We are taking a risk with using something this old and worn. I will describe in more detail in another post what we have come across in the deconstructing of the RV.

Looking at these pictures now, after we have begun the deconstructing process, I wonder how I even knew this would work. Ha! So much of what you see here is gone. I'm excited to show you but I'm going to hold off. 

Coming Up: The Deconstruction